Dawes Point is a neighbouring suburb of Walsh Bay located on the north-western edge of the Sydney central business district, at the southern end of Sydney Harbour Bridge.
The area was originally known by the Aboriginal names of Tar-ra and Tullagalla. This was later changed to Point Maskelyne in honour of Reverend Dr Nevil Maskelyne, British Astronomer Royal who sent out the first astronomical instruments which were established at the point in the country's first observatory, by Lieutenant William Dawes (1762-1836), astronomer with the First Fleet. Later the point was renamed in honour of Dawes.
It was also the site Dawes mounted the first guns in Sydney in 1788, and contained Sydney's first cemetery.